Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sure 'nuff 'n Yes I do - Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band, 1968.



Knee deep in Beefheart Through The Eyes of Magic, John "Drumbo" French's amazingly detailed account of the entire Magic Band history including a deep, deep dive into the pre-pre-history of most of the players and the entire Antelope Valley scene in the late 50's / early 60's.

These dudes are no slouches. I'd be hard pressed to find another pack of musicians as talented and dedicated as these.

It blows me away, what we've done to our children's creativity and work ethic, by providing our kids with every gimmick and knick-knack they should have a whim for. It seems like the impetus for every one of these guys was "We lived in a town that was 7 blocks long in the middle of the desert, 90 miles, there was nothing interesting other than what we created for ourselves."

Fuck all you parents and your soccer practices, Nick Jr. and cellphone-leeching tweeners. You're neutering your ofspring and killing this country.

I'm gonna Grow Fins.

3 comments:

  1. I found the town that I'm moving too. Edison, right off of Chuckanutt drive. Just me, Kubs and a Marshall half stack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small enough to build a 50ft tall, jagged, rusty iron barrier against the legions of super groupies and milfmelters that will be answering the siren's wail of your SG?

    ReplyDelete